Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Forgiveness

I often wonder about forgiveness. It is something that I don't exactly understand, but by faith I accept. To forgive means to grant pardon of, or to stop feeling resentment for. It means to forget whatever someone has done "wrong" to you. Jesus was crucified as a pardon for our sins. The bible says that without the shedding of blood, there can be no remission of sin. Therefore, when Jesus was crucified, He shed His blood for the forgiveness of our sins.

There seems to be a catch. The bible also says that we will be forgiven by God, with the same measure that we forgive others. Think about the Lord's prayer. It says "forgive my sins just I as I forgive those who have sinned against me." Therefore, it is very important that we forgive those who have wronged us.

Another area that I often wonder about, is when we ask Jesus to "save" us, are we forgiven at that moment of sins past, present, and future? The bible speaks of us crucifying Jesus over and over when we ask forgiveness for sin that we have already been forgiven of. God's word says that he casts our sin into the sea of forgetfullness, that means He remembers it no more. If God can forget it, why can't we? I would say that's because the enemy wants us to continue to feel guilty for sins that we have already been pardoned for.

I encourage you today, to accept the forgiveness that Jesus offers to all.

No comments: