Tuesday, April 21, 2009

What Rock????

In Matthew 16, Jesus makes the comment that "on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades[d] will not overcome it." He had just asked Peter "who do you say I am?". Peter replied "You are the Christ, the Son of the Living God".

Many people believe that Peter is the "rock" that Jesus is speaking of. However, if you examine the Greek, Peter was translated from petros, which means "some small rocks". But, in this passage, petra is the word that was used. Petra means a large boulder.

I would challenge you to wonder and think if Jesus could have been saying that He would build His church upon Himself, the Rock of Ages, rather than Peter who is just a smaller rock who would be used to help build the church.

There is a prominent denomination today who believe that the lineage of Peter continue to giude and direct the entire denomination. However, I would submit that we should build our faith on "The Rock", Jesus Christ.

No comments: